[opendtv] Re: Time to give up on 1080i for football

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 09 Dec 2009 11:36:46 -0500

> Varying opinions can exist in any organization.
>
> I would only note that in extensive tests conducted by the EBU,
> viewers preferred source encoded as 720@50P over the same source
> encoded as 1080@50P. These tests were based on a variety of 1080@50P
> source material.
>
> It may only take 10% to 15% more bits for 1080@50P on average, but the
> peaks will kill you!
>
> Regards
> Craig

I guess it is time for me to repeat one of my pet lobby/rants that many
of you have already heard on this list.
To wit:

1)  If bit rates are sufficiently constrained then 720p is better than
1080p and maybe 480p is even better than 720p.

2) We never have enough damn bit rate.

3) Some material needs more bits than others and the needs vary
continuously.

Therefore we should not fix an emission resolution but allow it to vary
continuously from moment to moment based upon the economics of the
current situation.  Let's just design encoders and decoders such that
they support anything up to some practical maximum dictated by current
resource usage (memory, processor, etc).  Then let the resolutions vary
along with the bit rates controlled by a stat muxer for the whole
stream. At one moment one stream might be 480p and another 720p, but
always changing with the sum of all streams optimized.

Of course no such encoders, decoders, and muxers are currently
available.   But I believe we should make some.  It is silly to throw
away bits to constrain bit rate without also being allow to throw away
pixels.

- Tom