[opendtv] Re: Start-up glitches

  • From: Segal Gary-r36550 <Gary.Segal@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2004 07:32:54 -0700

Craig Birkmaier wrote on Friday, April 02, 2004 8:54 AM

> Yet we cannot come up with a law or a technology to restore some
> sanity to e-mail.

While some people are waiting with baited breath for Bill Gates to deliver on
his promise of eradicating spam in 24 (I guess now 22) months, I've found a
technical solution that works great today.  It's free open source software
called Spambayes.  There is an Outlook plug-in (which I use), and versions that
can be installed between a POP server and clients on Unix.
(http://spambayes.sourceforge.net/)

I cannot say enough good things about Spambayes.  It is currently catching over
99% of my inbound spam, with the rest ending up in it's "suspect spam" folder.
Did I mention that it is free, open source, software?

There are other statistical spam filters out there, such as the one included in
Mozilla's email client (http://www.mozilla.org).  If you don't have a good
solution to spam, check out one of these tools.

-Gary Segal