[opendtv] Re: Start-up glitches

  • From: Mike Enright <menright1@xxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 02 Apr 2004 10:17:22 -0800

I have been using one version or another of Mozilla's mail client (in
the guise of NS 7.1 and Thunderbird 0.3 thru 0.5). These clients use
naive Bayesian analysis. In my opinion, random words do not mask spam
effectively. During the induction period when I was looking at the
individual spam messages to make sure they were spam, I noticed these
masking attempts in both my spam folder and my inbox. I believe that
random words have no effect on the Mozilla's implementation and I would
expect the same from a typical implementation.

Mozilla MUA's also can use your address book as a white list.

One of my two main email accounts gets 600+ spams a week, and it has
been the contact address of a web site since 1996. The other, my cox.net
account, gets about 100 a week. This address is not as prominently used,
and it is possible the ISP is filtering more effectively.

I also have a new-ish AOL account that after 3 months gets no email
messages at all. A contrary data point for one theory of spam, I guess.

Gary Hughes wrote:

>>From: Segal Gary-r36550 [mailto:Gary.Segal@xxxxxxxxxxxx]=20
>>While some people are waiting with baited breath for Bill=20
>>Gates to deliver on his promise of eradicating spam in 24 (I=20
>>guess now 22) months, I've found a technical solution that=20
>>works great today.  It's free open source software called=20
>>Spambayes.  There is an Outlook plug-in (which I use), and=20
>>versions that can be installed between a POP server and=20
>>clients on Unix.  (http://spambayes.sourceforge.net/)
>>=20
>>

>I've noticed a lot of the junk mail now includes a lot of random
>words, presumably to fool systems that use Bayseian analysis.
>Is it coping with those?
>
>gary
>=20
>
>=20
>This email message and any files transmitted with it contain =
>confidential information intended only for the person(s) to whom this =
>email message is addressed.  If you have received this email message in =
>error, please notify the sender immediately by telephone or email and =
>destroy the original message without making a copy.  Thank you.=20
>=20

Mike Enright
mail: michaelt@xxxxxxxxxxxx AIM: enr Yahoo: michaeltenright
Beautiful Cardiff-by-the-Sea, California