[opendtv] Re: Start-up glitches

  • From: Segal Gary-r36550 <Gary.Segal@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2004 10:41:27 -0700

Yes, these don't fool SpamBayes.  I think this is due the fact that SpamBayes
includes some of the message headers in it's analysis, and that most of my spam
is HTML while most of my ham (ham is good email) is not.  HTML tags make for
great filters in my case!

The beauty of Bayesian filters is that each user builds a database specific for
their email traffic.  With only a 100 or so messages, SpamBayes was over 90%
accurate for me.  Now, with 682 spam 202 ham messages in my training database,
it is performing very well (greater than 95%, maybe even above 99%).  I could
have trained it on 1000's of spams, but it is working well with this small
training set.

I now *never* have spam in my inbox.  It does put a few messages a day into the
"suspect folder."   Most are spam.  Every once in a while, a ham email gets
into the suspect folder.  I haven't had ham in the "spam" folder since the
first days of training SpamBayes.  I currently get about 100 spams a day.

As I said before, I can't say enough good things about SpamBayes.  I have to be
careful, however, otherwise I'll sound like one of those spam-blocker spam
emails!  I am really nothing more than a very satisfied users of this free,
open source software.  If you have problems with spam, you owe it to yourself
to check out SpamBayes.  (By the way, if you want a supported commercial
product, check out the "related" section on the SpamBayes sourceforge web page,
http://spambayes.sourceforge.net/)

-Gary Segal