[opendtv] Re: Spectrum is too valuable

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2015 00:04:51 +0000

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

You are completely ignoring the obvious. What is being replaced is
the means by which we consume the vast libraries of content that came
before...

Not just "libraries," Craig. You get hung up on just that aspect. We are
changing how we view, we are changing the platforms we view it on, and we are
changing where we want to be able to view it from. Not just archival material,
Craig. All material. That's why the MVPDs have had to introduce new services.
And the simple reality is, the MPEG-2 TS broadcast spectrum takes a huge chuck
of their available bandwidth. You seem capable of grasping this concept for OTA
TV, but for some reason, can't make the association with cabled media.

I still do not understand why you are still limping along with
DSL...

It's actually obvious why, and I've already mentioned it. To install FiOS is a
hassle. It involves having to string coax inside the house (Verizon uses MOCA),
which I now do not have. It involves also installing the backup battery in the
house. Going to Cox cable would similarly involve installing the indoor coax.
If Verizon offered FiOS with VDSL indoors, running over the voice grade twisted
pair, that would be great. But I'm sure I'll have to make the switch
eventually. I'm just buying time, that's all. Nothing like your anxiety in
letting go of that cord.

h.263 was never used to stream entertainment via the Internet.

I've said this many times, Craig. Check your facts before attempting to argue.
Either H.263, or a proprietary equivalent/derivative/subset of it, was most
certainly used before H.264 became available. Flash player did not introduce
H.264 compression until somewhere in the Flash Player 9 iteration. Before then,
it used H.263. Some of the TV networks were using Flash, other were using
Windows Media Player, or Real Media, in those days. Most likely, all of these
used an offshoot of H.263.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0923596599000272

"The success of the World Wide Web together with the fast increasing number of
hosts connected to the Internet has resulted in considerable interest in the
transmission of real-time multimedia, such as audio and video, over the
Internet. This trend has been facilitated by the availability of high
performance, low-cost multimedia workstations together with the development and
standardisation of efficient video coding algorithms. ... We then present our
work on packet loss resilient video coding for Internet applications, based on
the ITU-T H.263+ video coding standard and using the current RTP
specifications."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.263

"H.263 also found many applications on the internet: much Flash Video content
(as used on sites such as YouTube, Google Video, MySpace, etc.) used to be
encoded in Sorenson Spark format (an incomplete implementation of H.263). The
original version of the RealVideo codec was based on H.263 up until the release
of RealVideo 8."

Tell me something I don't know Bert.

I just did. Why couldn't you spend the quality time to find out first?

You claim to have been an early adopter, then tell us you did not have
a PC capable of reliable decoding of h.264 streams until 2010.

I simply tell it like it is, Craig, because I have no ulterior motives making
me pretend otherwise. Yes, the networks have been putting their content on the
Internet for about 10 years already, give or take a year, and I have no reason
to pretend otherwise. Yes, my old PC became unable to play these media streams
at a certain point. The video became jumpy, as the player was skipping frames.
I have no idea why you can't wrap your head around these facts. There isn't
anything remotely ambiguous or doubtful about any of this, unless you're
utterly uninformed on these Internet developments.