[opendtv] Re: Spectrum is too valuable

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2015 02:56:30 +0000

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

and I even gave you the link to check it out for yourself, right at
the start.

I provided that link when I calculated what the theoretical the bits
per Hz is for DOCSIS 3.1.

No, Craig. I provided you a link to the PHY standard, which would have kept you
from wondering how the cable bandwidth was doubled, to ~1800 MHz, and would
have stopped any further discussion about retaining the broadcast MPEG-2 TS
streams (if you want to achieve the much-vaunted performance). Take a look at
our respective links.

My link was

http://www.cablelabs.com/wp-content/uploads/specdocs/CM-SP-PHYv3.1-I07-150910.pdf

Your link was

https://www.arrisi.com/globalassets/resources/white-papers/arris_spectral_efficiency_of_docsis_wp.pdf

How do you see these as being the same link? Obviously, you did not look at the
standard. That's why you did not know that DOCSIS 3.1 depends on having a whole
lot more cable banswidth than DOCSIS 3.0 could use. Not until Ron supplied you
with some viewgraphs, that showed you what you should have read previously.

By the way, did you notice in your first article today how Cox is NOT changing
out its cabling for DOCSIS 3.1?

http://www.fiercetelecom.com/story/cox-accelerate-gigabit-broadband-plans-docsis-31-2017/2015-09-23

"A key focus of this deployment will be on leveraging its existing HFC-based
network."

Just wanted to make sure you weren't going to respond that the article said no
such thing. Your assertion that all the cabling would need to be changed was a
pure guess, Craig, and apparently not true.

We are supposed to be discussing how cable companies have to
spend a whole lot more money with expensive manual labor, if
they continue to waste spectrum on well over a hundred
MPEG-2 TS broadcast channels.

Huh? Manual labor?

Yes, Craig. See above. You deploy a lot of extra broadband capacity, without
having to install new cabling and changing the topology of the PON. Am I
beloboring the obvious or what?

Think, Craig. The legacy MVPD model creates monopolistic
gatekeepers.

No longer. That was the legacy.

It was a struggle to get that point across too.

I have had multiple choices since the late '90s Bert.

Ooops. I spoke too soon. Now Craig is trying to convince us that he was
connected to three MVPDs. It is only the mandated-to-be-neutral Internet
service that is giving you virtually unlimited choices of counte source, Craig.
That Internet you didn't want to be neutral.

You were not watching entire programs.

I was watching entire programs, with very, very few ad breaks back then, and
each ad break only 30 seconds long. You have no clue, Craig. Get your facts
before attempting to argue.