[opendtv] Re: Spectrum is too valuable

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2015 00:41:21 +0000

John Shutt wrote:

Are we keeping in mind that because of the more benign RF environment,
6 MHz on a cable system can carry roughly twice the data payload that
6MHz OTA can?

I am, don't know about Craig. In any event, even in the less benign OTA
environment, we have ATSC OTA stations here that transmit one HD and three SD
channels, on up to one HD and *five* SD channels.

Unlikely that they would get away with this if they were transmitting
fast-moving sports in HD, but whatever the details, clearly Craig was
overstating his case.