[opendtv] Re: Some VHF updates

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 5 May 2010 10:57:57 -0500

Tom McMahon wrote:

> Not to speak for Terk et all but how about improved antennas these
> days?  BTW - while I use cable in my LR, I use my roof antenna for
> the kitchen, and living in So Cal I keep the roof in case of
> emergency.

I've been very pleased with my two Antennas Direct DB4 antennas, aimed 90
degrees apart, for both VHF and UHF reception (including the FM radio band).

http://www.antennasdirect.com/DB4_HDTV_antenna.html

The two, mixed together with a combiner, create a nice 8-bay receive antenna
with two main lobes in the two directions I need, from where I live. I feed the
combination into a 15 dB antenna amp.

Antennas Direct also makes a flat 8-bay design, the DB8. Also reported to be
quite good for high VHF.

These antennas are stacked dipoles, rather than yagis, so they achieve gain by
squashing the vertical dimension of the lobe, while leaving the horizontal as
omnidirectional as possible. The gain spec is considerable, very competitive
with yagis. Check it out.

BTW, I use these indoors, ground floor, sitting in the fireplace.