[opendtv] Re: Some VHF updates

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 05 May 2010 18:55:09 -0400

Manfredi, Albert E wrote:
> Mark Schubin wrote:
>

>> Your post began by indicating that broadcasters want to radiate more power.
>> Not counting filing expenses and more powerful equipment, the increase will,
>> at the very least, raise their electricity bills. Now you say they don't
>> care about their off-air coverage.
>>
>> To me, the two concepts do not add up.
>>

> Then, let's say they are of two minds about this.
>
> If initially the transition created an exodus from OTA, the broadcasters
> won't be too disappointed. It means more revenue to them.
>
> The low-hanging fruit has been picked. Those most likely to desert the ranks
> of the OTAers have created some additional double revenue streams for the
> broadcasters. It makes sense to try to win back the most stubborn among us.
> There are still some people out there who aren't ambitious enough to make VHF
> work, but not interested enough to subscribe to an MVPD. We have one such
> person in the office. The chronic procrastinators. They will claim not to
> care that the VHF stations aren't available to them anymore, but if they were
> available again, would be happy to start watching.
>
> Bert

Last night I finally tried an OTA channel at my new place scan using a
small set top antenna.  I suppose predictably PBS, ABC, and NBC were the
network channels I could not get in the living room of my stucco duplex
about 10 miles from all the towers.  PBS, ABC and NBC are on RF channels
7, 10, & 13 respectively.

But I have other antennas and options.  This was just a quick test.

- Tom