[opendtv] Re: Seeing Ghosts on a Single Frequency Network

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2011 17:49:55 -0600

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> It has been fun to watch the MFN SFN debate. As an "unbiased" observer,

That makes me laugh. Unbiased observer? Craig, you have been using the vague
allusions to SFNs, vague ideas about placing towers around the beltway, as why
COFDM is the only viable choice from day 1. You're as biased as they come!

>> Certainly, you cannot deny that a big stick to cover a single market is
>> more spectrally efficent than a SFN *to cover a single market*. Right?
>> That was the original trade.
>
> This is ONLY true if we are talking about a market that exists in
> isolation - that is, it is sufficiently distant from any other market
> that one does not need to consider the loss of white space channels
> in adjacent markets.

No. It is true whenever you have adjacent markets that require overlapping
coverage, such as cities up and down the East Coast. With single market SFNs,
you continue to require white spaces in these cases. Once again, pay attention
to real-world SFNs, the ones actually in existence, to see that this is how
they are built.

The range of big stick coverage is PURELY a function of how large the markets
that they cover are. You can always reduce the power of a big stick, Craig, if
the market size doen't warrant the coverage. Our CW20 channel here, in the
early days of the transition, had a ridiculously small coverage area, a handful
of miles, even with a big stick. You continue to misrepresent what big sticks
are. Similarly, in Paris, the big stick only transmits 25 KW in UHF. Which
means that 30 miles away, you have your first set of translators. Big sticks do
not necessarily mean you can't reuse the frequencies for hundreds of miles. It
all depends on ERP. It all depends on how the frequencies are reused. I've
given examples before, which you quickly forget, so I repeat them below.

If big stick frequencies can't be reused for 200 miles up and down the East
Coast, by other high power big sticks, it is because THAT'S HOW BIG THE MARKETS
ARE that they need to cover. Between Baltimore and NYC, Craig, the only major
market is Philadelphia. NYC and Wash/Balt share many of the same frequencies.
Why wouldn't they? What would SFNs do differently?

What's more, LPTV transmitters in market A *can* reuse the frequencies of a big
stick in the adjacent market B, as long as the LPTV sticks are located far
enough from the boundary. No different from what you'd achieve with the SFN.

The FCC permits Channels 7 and 13 (VHF), 30, 33, 35 (UHF) to be used in
Wash/Balt, and the same Ch 7, 13, 30, 33, and 35 (low power) to be reused in
Phila., the adjacent market to Baltimore. Ch 42 in Annapolis, Ch 42 in Phila.
So honestly, in the face of all this real-world information, both here and
abroad, I just don't understand why you insist on keeping fairy tales alive.

> In the case of using SFNs in dense urban areas, there is NO way that
> big sticks or MFNs can provide the spectral efficiency of properly
> designed SFNs.

That's false. If the big stick needs to be supplemented, e.g. for more even
coverage for mobile devices, it can be supplemented either by low power DOCRS,
aimed downstream of the big stick, or by low power translators whose
frequencies can be reused in the adjacent market, and match or exceed the
spectral efficiency of a SFN. And certainly can be done with fewer towers and
fewer compromised locations.

> Broadcasters WANT localism.

Fine. One extra nail in the coffin of SFNs. Because I'll certainly agree that
SFNs, if used in large, multi-market regions, could save on spectrum. That's
obvious. At the cost of a complicated and kludgey infrastructure. But take that
away, and there's no excuse to continue this charade.

> Near as I can remember, Bert is the only person calling SFNs Cellular TV.

Either you don't remember, or you continue to misunderstand. I have described
cellular TV, but when I did, I explained true cellular TV. Not some half-baked
inaccurate term used to befuddle politicians and other innocents.