[opendtv] Re: SO tired of the tiresome spin against 8-VSB

  • From: Doug McDonald <mcdonald@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2005 12:10:40 -0600

dmenolan wrote:

> As a postscript I am quite surprised that the 5th generation 8VSB chips w=
> hich are reported to be able to solve the indoor reception problem are no=
> t being marketed: maybe the vendors decided that free over-the-air televi=
> sion does not have a future in the US.

No, Dermot .... they are not being marketed because the current
receivers work quite well. There is no real market for the new
chips. You and Bob Miller seem to have a fixation on a problem
that does not exist.

The problems with OTA DTV in the US are:

1) stations not on the air

2) stations not at full allocated power

3) stations not transmitting HDTV where their network provides it

4) networks still not transmitting almost everything in HDTV

Reception of full power stations is not at all the problem

Among my friends and colleagues there is quite a lot of interest
in HDTV. Several of us have HDTV sets. Reception is not at all
a real problem. The problem is lack of HD programs.

Doug McDonald