[opendtv] Re: SO tired of the tiresome spin against 8-VSB

  • From: Bob Miller <bob@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2005 14:05:09 -0500

Doug McDonald wrote:

>dmenolan wrote:
>

>>As a postscript I am quite surprised that the 5th generation 8VSB chips w=
>>hich are reported to be able to solve the indoor reception problem are no=
>>t being marketed: maybe the vendors decided that free over-the-air televi=
>>sion does not have a future in the US.
>>

>No, Dermot .... they are not being marketed because the current
>receivers work quite well. There is no real market for the new
>chips. You and Bob Miller seem to have a fixation on a problem
>that does not exist.
>
>The problems with OTA DTV in the US are:
>
>1) stations not on the air

A lot of station are on the air.

>2) stations not at full allocated power

Most stations broadcasting at low power in the US would be considered
HIGH power in the UK. What happened to the idea that 8-VSB needed less
power?

>3) stations not transmitting HDTV where their network provides it

What does that have to do with the sale of receivers? In the UK and
Germany they have a DTV transition in full swing with NO HD at all.

>4) networks still not transmitting almost everything in HDTV

Ditto

>Reception of full power stations is not at all the problem

It sure is by the looks of the post on AVSForum. Those folks have been
drooling over the arrival of 5th gen receivers. Take a look at the
problems with reception there, it is epidemic even though it is
politically incorrect to post such problems and those that due get
flamed. It seems the expected arrival of 5th gen stand alone receivers
and then the disappointment has caused some brave souls to post of their
frustration.

>Among my friends and colleagues there is quite a lot of interest
>in HDTV. Several of us have HDTV sets. Reception is not at all
>a real problem. The problem is lack of HD programs.

Reception is a major problem where I live Doug. This is no way to run a
country. If you have yours everything is AOK right? Well it is not and
the problems have caused the OTA DTV transition in the US to stagnate
for 7 years now.

Bob Miller