[opendtv] Re: SO tired of the tiresome spin against 8-VSB

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "OpenDTV (E-mail)" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 11:47:17 -0500

Doug McDonald wrote:

[On availability of 5th gen LG STBs]

> They will appear in the stand alone boxes too,
> as soon as supplies of the older chipped boxes are
> gone. Economies of scale, etc., will mean that the
> newest chip always will supplant the older ones.

Do you really think this is the case? It would be
like Ford or GM holding back on their new models
until all the old cars in the dealer lots are sold.

Sounds like a really STUPID way to run a business.

If they really do want to clear out old obsolescent
inventory, they should heavily discount the old
boxes while selling the new ones alongside. So guys
like me would try the cheap older box first, maybe.
(Or in my case, probably not.)

Companies that want to generate public enthusiasm
for their product don't deliberately hold back what
the public is excited about.