[opendtv] Real numbers and charts about the U.S. TV audience

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <brewmastercraig@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OpenDTV Mail List <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2015 09:44:20 -0400

A few days ago I posted an article about a new Nelson study about TV viewing
habits in the U.S...

The perfect click bait to get Bert excited and inventing statistics again...

He took the bait and tried hard to convince us all again that half of all TV
viewing now takes place through the Internet. The Nielsen report used some
terms that are unfamiliar, such as All media consumption. Apparently this was
quite clear if you could see the figures that accompanied the report, which
thankfully, TV Technology has done. I posted their article, without the figures
in a separate thread. You can access it here:

http://www.tvtechnology.com/news/0002/live-tv-rules-broadcast-reliance-on-the-rise-in-us/277042

Here is the figure that tells us everything we need to know about "all media,"
the relative percentages of TV viewing across different screens, and the
percentage of TV viewed live versus VOD.

PNG image

At no point, even during the day, does the total of all Internet viewing get
close to 50%, even for the Millennials (18-34 age group). It approaches 50% for
this group around 1 am.

The article also addresses the number of homes that subscribe to a MVPD
service: just over 100 million out of 116.4 million TV homes in the U.S. That's
about 86%.

Sorry Bert...