[opendtv] Re: PCI 5th gen test

  • From: Bob Miller <bob@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 28 May 2005 16:12:37 -0400

From the manufacturer this morning.

"Regarding your question, I would have to say that comparing percentages
among different devices is completely meaningless.  If you want it to show
100% give me 5 minutes and I will show 100% all the time.  :)   Seriously this
is meant to show you that the method to calculate a 'percentage' is really
up to the designer.  Some companies prefer to show a higher percentage just
to make their users think it is a better signal when in actuality it could
be the same or worse.  Our percentage is a relative calculation of SNR over
the usable range of SNR adjusted to meet our criteria of <20% not usable
<40% some packet loss.   If you want to do any relative comparison between
receivers you must use SNR and BER.  However even then you must keep in mind
on these types of consumer devices the statistics will have some variation.
The statistics are generally only provided to give an approximate signal
quality indication for optimization of antenna pointing.  I suggest you
clarify this point in you post since it is very misleading."

xxxx