[opendtv] Re: Overscanning on LCD TVs

  • From: Kilroy Hughes <Kilroy.Hughes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2009 17:42:57 +0000

You could use a Blu-ray player and Joe Kane's "Video Essentials" (and similar
from Stacy Spears, etc.) as and HDMI/YPbPr test generator in the $150 range.

Hundreds of specific test patterns have evolved to check for many of the things
that go wrong with video, including errors commonly found in decoders when they
convert 4:2:0 to 4:4:4, 10-bit to 8-bit rounding bias, requantization, aspect
ratio distortion, setup, gamma slope out of black ... as well as all the usual
calibration stuff like color primaries, color temp, gamma, gray scale over the
entire gamma curve, etc.  You can always see errors, but it helps to know which
are in encoding, decoder/signal processing, interface, display processing, and
display.

Odds are that something like color banding is happening in all four places, so
you have to do mental subtraction to judge encoding quality (for instance) on
LCD displays that don't have the contrast and quantization granularity to
accurately represent 8-bit gradients (and will introduce dithering noise
instead to mask that).  People disappearing into the shadows (setup and gamma
errors relative to viewing conditions and encoded render intent), and parts of
the picture getting hacked off (overscan) are a little easier to measure, but
still subjective in the case of black levels and display gamma for particular
viewing conditions.

Kilroy