[opendtv] Re: Company Claims to Have Solved White Space Interference Problem

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2009 11:08:21 -0600

John Shutt wrote:

> The article correctly describes the definition of "white spaces"
> when it said "[a] year ago, the FCC voted to allow the use of
> unlicensed wireless devices to operate in "white spaces," empty
> portions of the TV spectrum band."

Yes, I agree that one example of the definition COULD be construed as accurate.

> Methinks you're simply placing too much emphasis on the phrase
> "700 MHz."

I'm looking at three examples that suggest confusion:

1. "... the 'white space' frequencies recently vacated by the U.S. DTV
transition." (Obviously, not a correct definition.)

2. "We will quickly see a wave of innovation in wireless products and services
around 700MHz, ..." (Do you REALLY believe they are talking about Ch 50 an 51??)

3. Mention of Bluetooth, Zigbee, DECT, and the 2.4 GHz band, as examples of
relevant expoerience.