[opendtv] Re: Company Claims to Have Solved White Space Interference Problem

  • From: "John Shutt" <shuttj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2009 12:53:51 -0500

----- Original Message ----- From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>

I'm looking at three examples that suggest confusion:

1. "... the 'white space' frequencies recently vacated by the U.S. DTV transition." (Obviously, not a correct definition.)

Why not? We 'vacated' CH 23 when we turned off NTSC, which now makes 23 a white space channel in our market.

2. "We will quickly see a wave of innovation in wireless products and services around 700MHz, ..." (Do you REALLY believe they are talking about Ch 50 an 51??)

As I said, 50 and 51 are "around 700 MHz" when rounded up to the nearest 100 MHz.

3. Mention of Bluetooth, Zigbee, DECT, and the 2.4 GHz band, as examples of relevant expoerience.

Examples of frequency agile products.

I agree that the author was not writing engineering specs, nor was the intended audience product designers. Clearly the higher frequencies near the 700 MHz benchmark are more desirable than the lower frequencies, thus the perhaps less than optimally phrased term "around 700 MHz."

John