[opendtv] Re: Optimizing the system

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "OpenDTV (E-mail)" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 16:12:40 -0500

Me:

> > It is pointless for an HD-DVD manufacturer to use
> > anything less than a 1080-line mode unless there's a
> > problem with disk capacity.

Craig:

> Bull.  Only a TINY percentage of ALL customers will be
> able to see the difference between 1080P and 720P, and
> 720P can be upconverted easily to 1080P by the few sets
> that will have this ability.

This is too hilarious for words!

So tell me this: what would you lose by storing everything
as 1080 line in the HD-DVD, vs 720 line?

Would it cost more? No.

Would it be incompatible with some players? No.

Would it mandate that users buy a more expensive display?
No. It just means that some or even most won't be able
to enjoy the full glory of the recorded material, but
so what? This would still provide as good a picture as
their sets will allow.

Gee, it seems there's no point in compromising the
software, then. And, of course, upconversion does not
create information out of nothing. So the "economic"
issue is just vapor.

> MORE BULL. The broadcaster has 6MHz, which currently
> equates to 19.2 Mbps for EVERYTHING they want to put in
> their multiplex. IT IS ABSURD to believe that
> broadcasters should optimize that multiplex for a few
> percent of the total audience.

Which is why I have repeated every single time that this
is subject to channel capacity *only*. Nothing else. (At
least, nothing else after local stations have upgraded
their own production facilities to HD, which they're sure
to do in due course, just as their audio facilities have
been upgraded to true hifi audio since the early 1970s.)

You have absolutely no logical economic reason to
restrict HD quality to less than 1080 lines. The only
valid excuse is RF channel or storage device capacity, as
I've said all along, which is considered on a case by
case basis.