[opendtv] Re: One Out of Every Four Sets Sold In 2004 Will Be An HDTV

  • From: "John Willkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 08:04:28 -0700

The definition is pretty illogical.  When I ran an LPTV station, I could
tune into PAL-B BBC news feeds (there was at least one a day) and I could
watch them -- after a fashion -- on my NTSC set.

After a fashion?  Well, there was no chroma (like Cliff's Admiral set) and
the top of the screen seemed to fold back to show doubled scan lines, but I
could make ample sense of the broadcast, and could even hear the audio.
Every five to 10 seconds, the whole picture would roll once.

In other words, my NTSC setup could "deal with" PAL.  If we applied the
CEA's HDTV criteria to this case, I had a PAL system!  Sure was a lot
cheaper than a $2000+ multiformat VCR (which could have done the conversion
much better.)

From: "Mark Schubin" <tvmark@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>