[opendtv] Re: One Out of Every Four Sets Sold In 2004 Will Be An HDTV

  • From: "Cliff Benham" <cliff.benham@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 12:08:21 -0400

I can only name one that I know for certain can be counted
as an HDTV set because with it's factory built-in tuners,=20
it can tune in a free off air HDTV broadcast and display it in 1080i.
The RCA F38310.
http://shopping.yahoo.com/p:RCA%20F38310%20Television:1990605945:page=3Dd=
etails

If it doesn't have an ATSC tuner, even if it can display an HDTV signal =
properly, it's NOT an HDTV set.

From: "Cliff Benham" <cliff.benham@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

> The problem with today's situation is the poor CEA definition of what =
=3D
> constitutes
> a DTV set. It's pretty loose in that there's just the requirement of =
the
> ability to "display" 480p or 1080i.
>
> The reason they did this was to be able to inflate the statistics of =
the =3D
> number of=3D20
> "DTV" sets that have been "sold."=3D20
> Another problem: They count sales to dealers,=3D20
> not sales to consumers.=3D20

=20
=20