[opendtv] Re: Off topic: climate change

  • From: "Richard C. Ramsden" <ramsden@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2014 00:51:45 -0400

If you're young and don't sign up you pay.
in 2014 1% of your gross
in 2015 3% of your gross
even if you op out you pay

There are problems, but the people who just opt out do have to pay.

Never doubt that the IRS will collect.  Note a recent /. story

On 4/15/2014 3:45 PM, Craig Birkmaier wrote:
On Apr 15, 2014, at 2:06 PM, Bob Miller <robmxa@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:robmxa@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
Like to see that two page bill that covered pre-existing conditions. One page would have to deal with the Republican Mandate in whatever form that covering pre-existing conditions requires.

All that has changed with the ACA is that insurance companies cannot deny coverage for pre existing conditions. That's 99 % of the bill right there.

The implication are huge, as these people must now be included in the overall risk pool, which raises cost for everyone. But that's the whole point of the ACA everyone is in the risk pool, no ratings based premiums. As long as the pool includes everyone no problem. But if the young do not sign up the system does not work. Making the matter far worse is that a person can wait until they are sick then sign up. That's not insurance. Might as well just move to single payer and stop calling it insurance.

What does the old high risk pools and their problems have to do with anything? My daughter tried for 9 months to get covered that way. They kept asking for more paperwork and kept loosing it. Then Obamacare came along and she got coverage in 10 minutes thru the New York Exchange. She loves her insurance company. With the plan she choose she can see our family doctor.

The first phase of the ACA, between 2010 and the end of 2013, created a national high risk pool to provide a bridge until the exchanges started operating. This program ran out of money. If your daughter was trying to sign up for this program she was one of the unlucky ones they could not cover.

Before 2010, about 31 states operated high risk pools. They worked to an extent, but did not provide portability. But this was true for all health insurance, as it could not be sold across state lines.

About medical malpractice, my oncologist goes uninsured and has a sign prominently posted in his office to that affect.

At least he has the option of buying insurance, and likely has the resources to be self insured.

Why do you say "politically connected" doctor? Don't think he or they were or why are they going to prison? Faulty connection, sentencing is July 10th.

I have no idea who or what you are talking about.

This story talks about the opthamologist who got paid more than any other physician a year or two ago. He has been under investigation for years but has not been charged with anything.

http://www.miamiherald.com/2014/04/09/4048743/south-florida-opthalmologist-emerges.htm <http://www.miamiherald.com/2014/04/09/4048743/south-florida-opthalmologist-emerges.html>l