[opendtv] Re: (No Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 10:30:37 -0400

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "OpenDTV (E-mail)" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 18:03:05 -0400

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> You didn't say that it is an LCD display. Please
> tell us who makes it so we can avoid buying such
> a lame product. Then again, it could just be
> Windows, and not the display at all.

It's got the Dell name on it.

The graphics card can be set to:

800 X 600  =3D theoretically 1.33:1
1024 X 768  =3D 1.33:1
1152 X 864  =3D 1.33:1
1280 X 600  =3D 2.13:1
1280 X 768  =3D 1.66:1
1280 X 1024 =3D 1.25:1

But the actual aspect ratio is 1.25:1, and that
is what images are scaled to, apparently.

> LCD displays have ONLY one resolution. At least
> we can make a safe assumption that your screen
> has 1280 x 1024 pixels that are in fact square.

Well, I haven't messed with every setting, but the
only one that seems distortion free that I've
tried is the highest setting, 1280 X 1024. And
that's what the literature says it is "optimized"
for. But I'm using 1152 X 864 at the moment.

Point being that in the real world, these things
are bound to happen. Whether or not your
fictitious "properly designed" system would behave
this way.

Most people might not even have noticed, unless
they actually did some graphics programming.
That's when you see the ovals instead of circles.

In a real world looking at LCD TVs as the staple
diet, or other true digital displays, it makes
sense to limit the transmission options to
something less than infinity. To me, this is just
plain common sense, for someone trying to design
a bullet proof DTV system.