[opendtv] Re: News: WirelessHD Consortium

  • From: "Bob Miller" <robmxa@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2006 23:48:32 -0500

I agree with needing a basic course in electronics.

As to the merits of IR I understood that the distance was more like
1.5 miles and that it was sensitive to fog at very short distances.
And the data rates were low. Wrote off IR years ago. Have been
somewhat interested in inexpensive lasers and LEDs for 200 meters or
less. LED's seem to have a data limitation, lasers are hard to build
for low dollars.

The radio I demonstrated a few years ago, Loea 80-90 GHz didn't use
that much power as I remember. Seemed to plug into a standard outlet.
I am looking at both 60 and 80-90 GHz radios with max input power of
45 Watts and output of 6.3 mW. These work at from 1 Kilometer to 5
miles. Can't even imagine the power needs of a 60 GHz radio for a 30
ft range in a living room but it should be pretty low.

What do you consider high power and therefore bad and what is the
problem with the need for a a parabolic? The 1 Kilometer and 5 mile
radios have 23" parabolic antennas. Lot smaller than what Loea had.

From lessons learned with Loea I know that the cost of building these
radios can be very low if the market is large. So on one hand we see a
onesy and twosy market plan with list prices of $20,000 to $50,000 and
on the other, this new company, we see someone addressing a market for
millions at WiFi price points . Maybe the quantity will make for a
parts and silicon that bring the price down to "pick up a set at Home
Depot" prices that work at distances greater than 30 ft but not
necessarily as far as a Kilometer. And be upgradeable in 2 or three
years from ONE Gbps to TEN with an OTA software upgrade.

That would be disruptive of everything IMO.

Bob Miller

On 10/31/06, John Willkie <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
bob, you SERIOUSLY need to take a simple "basic electronics" course.  The proof
of concept was done decades back.  Absent a parabolic reflector and high-power, 60 ghz is
much less useful than infrared (which can send broadband signals miles these days.)

I'm just looking forward to having a 60-ghz modulator or three in my main room.
 It will save me having to buy three cables.