[opendtv] Re: News: WirelessHD Consortium

  • From: "Bob Miller" <robmxa@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2006 16:59:22 -0500

Are we talking about phased array antennas with tracking ability that
follow a laptop around and even track for a reflection shot if
something gets in the way of the direct line of sight?

Reminds me of that defunct company that was doing this with WiFi, Vivato.

Bob Miller

On 11/1/06, Mark Schubin <tvmark@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Bob Miller wrote:
> Not so for 60 GHz which can cover a lot of ground from indoor networks
> to last mile.
Tremendously high frequencies for last-mile applications have been
available for a long time.  At IBC this year, Fuji Television showed off
a 120 GHz link with a range of about 2 km.  Unfortunately, such systems
have similar problems to optical links like the Canobeam; they are
restricted to line of sight and are subject to bird fade.

The interesting (and challenging) thing about the proposed WirelessHD is
how they get around the line-of-sight issues with smart antennas.
Multiple beams crisscrossing the room and bouncing off walls?  I look
forward to learning more.

TTFN,
Mark