[opendtv] Re: News: WirelessHD Consortium

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2006 16:04:46 -0500

Bob Miller wrote:

> Line of sight yes but I don't think bird fade is an
> issue, more like window washer fade. The beam is
> spread near the transmitter and receiver. At low
> cost you could envision all nodes having multiple
> transceivers with each being full duplex backups of
> each other. A meshy redundant network

Bob, I still don't understand what you are creating here.

The article we're referring to talked about a 10 meter range system, for
internal hookup of audio/video equipment where the video can be
uncompressed. A wireless form of HDMI, if you will. That's why the
comparison with UWB, which is intended for a similar mission, or maybe
better characterized as "wireless USB."

You seem to be adressing something else. If you are trying to use a 60
GHz carrier for a two-way last mile link, then what's wrong with the
existing IEEE 802.16, MMDS/LMDS, which is already a standard that takes
you all the way up to 66 GHz, and does so with any number of optional
encapsulations (i.e. even ATM, if you like)?