[opendtv] Re: News: Tuner Comments Fly

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2005 19:11:45 -0400

Manfredi, Albert E wrote:
 > The real question the CEA should be asking itself is
 > whether they want to sub-13" TV category to survive
 > at all. It seems inconceivable to me that many of
 > these tiny sets are bought for anything OTHER THAN
 > OTA reception. The CEA should instead be pushing for
 > availability of really good tuners, that would
 > ensure that small portable TV sets can still be
 > produced.

I don't know if they can mandate any sort of tuner quality and get away
with it.

But would it be possible to establish some simple truth in labeling that
gave a couple simple metrics of things like multi-path rejection?  And
what is the property that double conversion tuners have?  Is there some
simple metric that folks could look for and that magazines like Consumer
Reports could publish?  If so then maybe the FCC could make divulging
these standard numbers mandatory, and educate folks on what they mean.

- Tom