[opendtv] PDP pioneer sees an edge for plasma

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2005 18:07:27 -0400

Interesting:

"Data from the Green Purchasing Network
(www.gpn.jp/English/index.html), Weber said, made it
possible for him to compare the latest models of TV
sets based on PDP, LCD and high-definition CRT
technology. He concluded that each takes the same power
in unit area: 580 watts/meter2. In other words, power
consumption depends neither on the size of the screen
nor its underlying technology."

Hopefully, the new bright LEDs will reduce this number
considerably, since they are supposed to be a lot
more efficient than even fluorescent lighting?

PDP pioneer sees an edge for plasma

Yoshiko Hara
(07/25/2005 9:00 AM EDT)

Seoul, South Korea - The president-elect of the Society
for Information Display gives plasma panels the best
chance of achieving what he calls a display's most
important characteristic.

Saying all the major technologies have a clear shot at
developing the critical trait - higher luminous
efficiency - Larry Weber added, "I am most excited about
the luminous efficiency of PDPs." Weber opened the
International Meeting on Information Display here last
week.

"Luminous efficiency," he said, "is the most important
display characteristic that directly impacts all other
characteristics." A term denoting the ratio of total
luminous flux to total radiant flux, luminous efficiency
is measured in lumens per watt.

Weber, a pioneering developer of PDP technology,
analyzed each display type in his keynote address before
giving an edge to plasma.

His basis for that view is the high efficiency of
fluorescent light, which today is about 80 lumens/W. The
efficiency of PDPs on the market is 1.8 lumens/W by
Pioneer and 2 lumens/W by Samsung SDI.

Though PDPs and fluorescent lights are based on the same
technology, the light output of fluorescent light is 50
times higher than PDPs. "It's a very big difference,"
Weber said. "For me, that looks like a giant opportunity.
Some big breakthrough is possible. That's why I am
working in my basement laboratory to find a solution to
improve the efficiency."

Weber co-founded Plasmaco Inc., a developer of plasma
televisions, but is now retired. Looking back at the
light-emitting diodes of 15 years ago, Weber said, their
efficiency was just 1 to 2 lumens/W, but now LEDs are
reaching levels high enough to replace various lighting,
including fluorescents.

Weber credited those gains to the good ideas of LED
developers. But "we have not had a good idea yet [for
PDPs]," he said. The possible path for an efficiency
jump in PDPs may be an improvement in gas discharge, he
suggested.

Plasma display panel technology paved the way for flat
panels of more than 40 inches, creating the market for
today's large-display TV sets. Now liquid-crystal
displays are growing larger and have started to compete
against PDPs in the same size range.

At last week's show, Samsung Electronics exhibited
technologies with "largest-ever" titles: a 102-inch
plasma display, an 82-inch LCD TV set and a 40-inch
organic-LED panel. These panels had been previously
announced at the Consumer Electronics Show or Society
for Information Display conferences earlier this year,
but were demonstrated for the first time here last
week.

So, consumers will soon have a chance to select PDP or
LCD technology for their big-screen TVs. Which will
win out? "What we need is a balanced picture of all
displays," said Weber, who presents himself as a
neutral observer of display technologies despite his
Plasmaco roots.

Weber seemed to buck conventional wisdom when comparing
display power draws. "Everyone knows that LCDs take
less power than PDPs," said Weber, who then stunned his
audience by asking, "Is this really true?"

Data from the Green Purchasing Network
(www.gpn.jp/English/index.html), Weber said, made it
possible for him to compare the latest models of TV
sets based on PDP, LCD and high-definition CRT
technology. He concluded that each takes the same power
in unit area: 580 watts/meter2. In other words, power
consumption depends neither on the size of the screen
nor its underlying technology.

All material on this site Copyright 2005 CMP Media LLC.
All rights reserved.