[opendtv] Re: News: Tuner Comments Fly

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2005 10:19:38 -0400

>The real question the CEA should be asking itself is
>whether they want to sub-13" TV category to survive
>at all. It seems inconceivable to me that many of
>these tiny sets are bought for anything OTHER THAN
>OTA reception. The CEA should instead be pushing for
>availability of really good tuners, that would
>ensure that small portable TV sets can still be
>produced.

You can bet your last dollar that the CEA is interested in devices
with screens smaller than 13" in size.

But television reception on these devices is not likely to be a
significant factor, UNLESS, reliable portable and mobile reception
are combined with a cheap low power tuner.

The more likely scenario is that we will see an emerging market for
portable multi-media players, with integrated optical drives and/or
hard disk drives. Like today's iPods, these devices will be "charged"
with content that can be consumed when the device is UNTEHTERED.

We have already seen the success of portable DVD players, not to
mention the widespread use of notebook PCs as portable DVD players.

One of the major considerations for this category is size. at 13" you
have something the size of a notebook computer, so why not just build
a notebook computer?

I suspect that the sweet spot for these device s will be something
with a 7" to 9" diagonal screen with say 854 x 480 resolution.

Time will tell...