[opendtv] Re: News: Spain overhauls TV market

  • From: Bob Miller <bob@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 03 Aug 2005 14:28:44 -0400

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

>At 1:03 PM -0400 8/1/05, Manfredi, Albert E wrote:
>

>>The fact that in certain European countries, OTA use
>>is higher than here is only a difference in degree, I
>>would think.
>>

>You would be incorrect. Most Europeans have not developed the same
>"TV habit" as 85% of the folks here in the good old USA.
>
>They get most of the big name shows we see here. but they do are not
>accustomed to the depth of choice that viewers here in the U.S> now
>take for granted. Thus 20-30 channels in Erope is a big deal for most
>viewers, while here in the U.S it is insufficient...
>
>Just ask USDTV.
>

>>It makes OTA access *more* desirable.
>>That's not the same as saying that in the US OTA
>>access is *undesirable*.
>>

>But OTA in the U.S. has become undesirable. That's why the audience
>has shrink to 15% and is declining.
>

>>> And of course there is the problem of expensive
>>> poor performing receivers in the US.
>>>

>>Ocrap.
>>

>  For once I agree with you Bert.
>
>Nobody gives a damn about OTA receiver performance since they don't
>use NTSC now and have no plans to use the ATSC system in the future.
>
>Regards
>Craig

Again that is not the point. Yes the public has a poor choice in OTA.
They can stay with what they have, cable, satellite or OTA NTSC or they
can switch to ATSC OTA. Not much of a choice and no one is selling them
on the OTA ATSC so the status quo remains the status quo.

IF we had now or had for the last five years a decent OTA digital
receiver I believe that many better than USDTV type ventures would have
started and been successful. So successful that broadcasters, retailers
and the public by now would be very active in the OTA space. You can't
fault the public for something they have not been sold. No one is
selling or offering anything compelling enough to attract viewers from
cable and satellite. The right modulation would have. A decent 8-VSB
receiver would have.

Bob Miller