[opendtv] Re: News: Spain overhauls TV market

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2005 22:37:56 -0400

>The fact that in certain European countries, OTA use
>is higher than here is only a difference in degree, I
>would think.

You would be incorrect. Most Europeans have not developed the same
"TV habit" as 85% of the folks here in the good old USA.

They get most of the big name shows we see here. but they do are not
accustomed to the depth of choice that viewers here in the U.S> now
take for granted. Thus 20-30 channels in Erope is a big deal for most
viewers, while here in the U.S it is insufficient...

Just ask USDTV.

>It makes OTA access *more* desirable.
>That's not the same as saying that in the US OTA
>access is *undesirable*.

But OTA in the U.S. has become undesirable. That's why the audience
has shrink to 15% and is declining.

>>  And of course there is the problem of expensive
>>  poor performing receivers in the US.
>
>Ocrap.

  For once I agree with you Bert.

Nobody gives a damn about OTA receiver performance since they don't
use NTSC now and have no plans to use the ATSC system in the future.