[opendtv] Re: News: Spain overhauls TV market

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2005 10:47:11 -0400

This was one of your better posts Bert!

I think the take-away is that we want a system that caches the
programs we want to watch, when we are not watching something that is
live. We agree that there is a LOT of content out there. There is
also a huge amount of duplication across the 500-1000 channel ocean.

Not having what the viewer/subscriber wants can be a show stopper.

Having more than they want is not a major benefit, especially if they
must pay for all of the stuff they don't want, as is the case with
cable and DBS today.

Broadcasters could strike a reasonable balance with a free
multi-channel (but not necessarily real-time) service, and still
offer premium content as well. It's all about using the capacity to
keep those caches filled with the right stuff.