[opendtv] Re: News: Merger of Sirius and XM Approved by F.C.C.

  • From: "John Shutt" <shuttj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2008 00:39:00 -0400

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5iOz1FYWduExBs1ZzZ6SfJvkPX1DAD925FUR00

"The final merger agreement did not require the combined company to include a
chip in its radios that will allow customers to receive digital signals from
land-based radio stations, which would have helped the land-based radio
industry.

"Tate, who was lobbied intensely by the industry in the final weeks, said she
"could not in good conscience support a government-mandated requirement on the
backs of American consumers at this time.""