[opendtv] Re: News: Macintosh and iPod Drive Apple

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 May 2007 08:24:59 -0400

At 4:58 PM -0700 5/5/07, Kon Wilms wrote:

Many interesting observations about the first Apple TV box...

I am sorry to say that MCE which comes free and bundled with Vista
completely blows the AppleTV Frontrow/Backrow away. Both in
capabilities, and from an ease of development point of view.  Vista
MCML is going to result in a mass of plugins. All Microsoft needs to
do is get a good price point AppleTV alternative. They already have
SDKs, forums, developer utilities, example plugins with full source
code, and even free Express Edition tools. What more can someone ask
for?

This may be true from a developer perspective, but it is consumers that make products successful.

I have seen nothing on a PC that compares to the Front Row user interface and the way it exploits music, photos and video on networked machines in the home (both MAcs and PCs).

To be honest, I did not buy a first generation iPOD, nor will I buy a first generation Apple TV. I do, however expect Apple TV to evole into a product that I WILL connect to my big screen TV.

And since Front/Backrow have already been made to run on a regular
Mac, users who want performance are purchasing Mac Minis and running
the AppleTV 'OS' on that. So I see no-one having the interest to build
a grassroots community since no-one will optimize code for the
AppleTV.

A Mac mini is a good alternative for today. We will see how things evolve.

And speaking of Macs versus PCs in general...

I have just lived through a rough month without a laptop. I'd like to believe that Apple Technologies/features made this month a lot easier, but I'll let the audience vote on this.

My 7 year old Powerbook dies a week before NAB. I was able to back up everything before I killed it (I was going to replace the power supply board). I moved my files to my wife's iMAC, which already had accounts set up for her, myself and my daughter. So when I logged into my account everything that was on my old Powerbook was there - although I did need to add a few applications to the root system which were never installed on the iMAC.

When I left for NAB I updated all of the files that had changed onto the original Powerbook hard drive, which is now mounted in a tiny Firewire enclosure. At NAB I just booted a friends Powerbook using my drive and kept working. When I got back I re synchronized the files I changed on the iMac.

My new Mac Book Pro arrived Wednesday. I turned it on and it went into a new system configuration mode. After selecting the language for the OS the next screen asked if I had an existing Mac that i want to copy my files from. So I updated the hard drive with the latest files then plugged it in. I should note that all Macs can be placed in "Target mode" which allows them to be connected to another machine via Firewire - when this is done they look like another hard drive. Any hard drive with a full OS install on it looks just like a computer running in target mode. So I just plugged the hard drive in and it was recognized and started updating the new MacBook. 26 Gigabytes of file transfers later, it continued the "install process." Actually it just booted up.

Everything was working. all of the network and e-mail settings, all of my preferences. even my customized desktop image. The only time consuming issue was the 45 minutes it took to copy all of my files.

It is this type of user experience that keeps me using Macs.

Contrast this with one of my clients, who just installed Vista on a recently purchased name brand PC. After several weeks of pain and agony, he is going to re-install XP.