[opendtv] Re: News: Macintosh and iPod Drive Apple

  • From: Ron Economos <k6mpg@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 05 May 2007 20:20:30 -0700

I've been writing software for 30 years, and still can't type
worth beans. IMHO, it doesn't matter. All the actual
project time is dominated by testing and debugging.

BTW, you might want to set the clock on your PC.
Your e-mail was dated 5/6/2007 at 2:47 am.

Ron

John Willkie wrote:

I would have severe reservations about “workers being more efficient on Macs.” First, I note the word efficient. Generally, one thinks about workers being more productive, not more efficient.

And, I need to point out for about the 10^th time on this list that I am a relatively fast typist. (My last typing test on a machine I had never used before, using a standard script on a keyboard I had never used before, without any warm-up, was 73 words per minute with zero errors. I should have done better: I’ve been measured by others at 88 words per minute after corrections.

As any fast typist knows, Macs are for slow-typing idiots or people who want to seem cool and make bad videos with bundled software. One needs to use the mouse (still! More than 20 years later) to do some common typing tasks, which severely cuts down speed, and thereby, productivity. In many cases, there is only one badly-thought out way to do common tasks.

With Windows – from version 1.0, by the way – there were at least two, and in many cases, three ways to perform common tasks like entering a soft carriage return. With Windows 3.0, there were three ways to perform common tasks.

Try this task. Start to type a sentence on the Mac. Then, underline the last word you typed before moving on to the next word. I can do that on a PC with two separate key combinations. (It\s cheating to use Microsoft Word on the Mac for this: I\m talking about a feature built into PCs.) My fingers never leave the alphabetic keys. Last time I tried a Mac, I could only do this by taking my fingers off the keys and attacking the mouse twice.

Try another not-so-common task. Enter a keycode (like that for ascii 129) into a Mac. With a PC, it’s five keys. It was four before they embraced Unicode.

I frankly don’t care what type of computer people use (although I refuse to use emacs on any computer). I only care that they are happy with their choice, and to the extent I need to interface to their computer, I do nothing other than copy files. And, I lose not a bit of content in the process. In the last 16 years, Macs have finally been able to do this.

Most of the time.

If I were working on an hourly basis as a typist, I wouldn’t have any problem with a Mac. If I were being paid by the job or by the unit completed, I’d only use a PC.

So, you don’t understand, Dave that time is money is only half the phrase, and that the other half is money is time?

Please, continue to convince yourself that in laptops Macs are superior. I will only agree that their prices are 3x what a run-of-the mill laptop costs.

Don’t you just love the emperor’s new clothes?