[opendtv] Re: News: Macintosh and iPod Drive Apple

  • From: Dave Bittner <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 6 May 2007 10:10:46 -0400

On May 6, 2007, at Sunday, May 6, 20075:47 AM, John Willkie wrote:

I would have severe reservations about “workers being more efficient on Macs.” First, I note the word efficient. Generally, one thinks about workers being more productive, not more efficient.
Congratulations. I assume you also know the meaning of the word pedantic.
And, I need to point out for about the 10th time on this list that I am a relatively fast typist.
Again, congratulations. We're all duly impressed.

As any fast typist knows, Macs are for slow-typing idiots or people who want to seem cool and make bad videos with bundled software.
I don't understand how being a fast typist magically gives one this misguided insight, but if it's what you choose to believe, so be it. I purchase Macs because they help my business make money. It's that simple. PCs do this, too, so we have those as well. I choose a Mac for my personal machine because I appreciate what is, IMHO, a superior user experience, and I like not having to worry about spyware.
Try this task.  Start to type a sentence on the Mac.
Got it. Done.

Then, underline the last word you typed before moving on to the next word.
Shift-option-left arrow, then command-U. System wide.
Try another not-so-common task. Enter a keycode (like that for ascii 129) into a Mac. With a PC, it’s five keys. It was four before they embraced Unicode.
Here's a handy conversion chart -

http://www.csun.edu/itr/guides/ascii-chart.html

Looks like it takes fewer keys on the Mac than on the PC, but honestly, with such an uncommon task, it's not a big deal.

The advantages of the Mac make the price premium worth it, to me, and it would appear, to more people than ever before. And not all of them trying to look cool or cut bad videos with bundled software.