[opendtv] Re: News: DIRECTV Sued Over HDTV Picture Quality

  • From: Mark Schubin <tvmark@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2006 23:24:25 -0400

Manfredi, Albert E wrote:

The price delta caused by built-in receivers is no longer noticeable.
I disagree. While the delta might be invisible on thousand-dollar sets, I no longer see any $150 27-inch TV sets advertised. There is ONE sub-$200 integrated set I've seen (and it's $199.99). There used to be sub-$100 25-inch sets advertised regularly.

The delta has become apparent in the 25-inch-to-35-inch range. When the "tuner mandate" kicks in for sub-25-inch sets, we'll REALLY see a delta. Do you think that integrated 13-inch TVs will sell for $50 as the analog models currently do?

Regarding your and Frank's comments on the numbers of sets, I certainly agree that most households subscribe to cable and satellite and that many people with DTT-reception capability aren't using it. But I see no indication that those relying on over-the-air reception are moving to get working DTT receivers any faster than those on cable or satellite (in fact, I suspect the opposite is true). And don't forget satellite subscribers not taking local-into-local packages.

The FCC staff posited a "natural" analog cutoff date of 2032 based on all TVs having DTT-reception capability in 2007 and a 25-year replacement time period.

TTFN,
Mark