[opendtv] Re: News: DIRECTV Sued Over HDTV Picture Quality

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2006 09:25:40 -0400

At 12:40 PM -0400 9/25/06, Tom Barry wrote:

I do most of my home computing, web browsing, etc. from an arm chair watching a screen projected 4' high on the wall in front of me in my living room. It's also my only (HD)TV I use now.

But I suspect that may still be the exception.

Most computer use is still designed for the user to sit at a typing distance from the screen and keyboard. This means close enough that you are easily less than 3 screen heights from the display even with a 20" monitor. Until computer users start sitting further back from the display there is little reason to think they will be using large displays in the offices & bedrooms.

- Tom

Bingo!

The "three screen heights from the display" is the real barrier that must be overcome for true convergence. Obviously you have achieved this with your set-up (I have done the same in the past when I have had access to a projector). Running a GUI on a big screen TV is becomming quite feasible...

Apple has already addressed this via their Front Row software, which was an integral part of th recent iTV demo. Once you have a 1-2 Mpixel palette, you can design multiple user interfaces for the device, each optimized for the applications and user interface environment (Front Row uses a simple remote that is virtually identical to the iPOD click wheel).

What is more important, however, is integration across multiple devices including the big screen TV, dual use appliances, and dedicated PCs. You may well use the traditional lean forward computing interface when you are browsing for content, then watch that content in a lean back environment. Likewise, you may bookmark some sites at the computer, then look at those sites on the big screen when you want to show them to a group of people - e.g. planning a vacation.

I look forward to the day when I can bring up a browser on my TV to search for something, rather than having to go to a computer.