[opendtv] Re: Netflix Is 6% of TV Business, 43% of Ratings Decline — Nathanson | Re/code

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 5 May 2015 02:37:25 +0000

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

Not the same type of competition at all. There was only that one
monopolistic carrier - your MVPD, to offer these syndicated shows.

Really?

Broadcasters around the world buy off network programming in the
syndication market.

And for an MVPD subscriber, there was only one source for those shows: the MVPD
link. Most likely, the only TV source for the household. Now, over the
Internet, you have multiple sources of this syndicated content, just like you
do for lots of other content.

Matter of fact, with OTA DTV, we have many of these same syndicated shows OTA,
where a few years back, they were mostly available only on MVPD nets. So
competition even for these syndicated shows, which are apparently a lot more
popular than Craig seems to think (depending what he's arguing at the time), is
greater now than it used to be.

Take a look at your local TV listings. The fifty plus channels
you receive are filled with syndicated programming.

Thanks for repeating what I said. There are a lot more sources of syndicated
programming than there used to be. Used to be primarily ONLY from that one MVPD
pipe into the household.