[opendtv] Re: Netflix Is 6% of TV Business, 43% of Ratings Decline — Nathanson | Re/code

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 May 2015 01:19:39 +0000

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

At the margins yes. As you note above you have more options that
mirror content available from the MVPDs. What you do not have,
however, is THE CONTENT from the MVPDs.

Well, obviously you do have all the OTA broadcaster content that's on MVPD
nets, including the multicast channels. There may be some multicast channels
that are exclusive to OTA, but I'm not sure. Bounce started as an OTA channel.
And it seems that current season broadcaster content is doing quite well, as
far as ad views goes (according to the last article I posted).

If anything, those who rely on antennas have less quality
options today as so much high value content has moved behind
the pay walls.

The one annoying example for me was that cbs.com used to have a nice library of
old shows available, including many of the Star Trek episodes. Last time I
tried, they told me I had to subscribe to CBS All Access. If they only knew how
that only resolves me not to!

Sorry Bert, but let's be accurate. It is true that there
are more homes using antennas, but it is also true that
the ratings for most network content are down overall.
This is to be expected, as 80-85% of homes do not use
antennas, and many of the homes that do are watching OVD
services.

Well, a growth of 67% this past year, for video ad views of broadcast show
current season, means something?

Very little of this content is available FOTA.

The simple fact remains that OTA viewership is up, and many cord cutters who
have written about their experiences include OTA TV as one of the components.
You need to verify your claims, Craig. It sounds to me like you just shoot from
the hip.