[opendtv] Re: Netflix Is 6% of TV Business, 43% of Ratings Decline — Nathanson | Re/code

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 26 Apr 2015 23:49:04 +0000

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

CBS All Access is $5.99/mo and in most cases the live CBS network
feed (if available) is already coming into the home via antenna
or MVPD.

Netflix is $8.99/mo, offers shows from all of the networks AND
an increasing amount of original content free from commercials
and the content restrictions that CBS must follow as an OTA
broadcaster.

Craig continues to get confused between a conglom and a broadcaster.

CBS All Access gives you access to entire seasons of CBS shows, even old ones,
which the article claimed were a big draw to Netflix.

Furthermore, I doubt even Craig can twist and turn enough to show that Netflix
produces as much original content as Viacom.

So, it seems to me that if CBS and the other networks decide to use the
Internet directly, to their advantage, as CBS has done but not yet the others,
they can take back what they worry that Netflix has taken from them. As much as
they could have done with the live streams offered by Aereo.

Craig, of course, has no idea how successful CBS All Access is, nor does he
have any idea of how successful other similar portals would be. My take is that
this is the future of TV. Craig, instead. Would have us believe that the
walled-garden monopolistic model of yesterday will be our TV future.

(Once again, finding I need to belabor the obvious.)