[opendtv] Re: Monthly Bill Fatigue

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "OpenDTV (E-mail)" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2004 15:58:38 -0400

Cliff Benham wrote:

> Funny you should mention it...
> If you like to listen to National Public Radio, you are
> out of luck when driving between DC and Philadelphia
> because both radio stations carrying NPR operate on the
> same frequency, 90.9 mHz!
>
> HOW DID THE FCC SCREW THIS ONE UP???

Cliff, I don't know how the FCC screwed this up, nor do
I know whether there aren't other NPR stations between
Wash and Phila, on some other fequency, that might fill
in the gap.

Assuming there are no other stations within range, the
more important question is why doesn't NPR address this
problem for all the folks they are leaving unserved in
this region? Never mind people on a short trip, what
about residents? There must be many many thousands of
households which can't receive NPR reliably in this
corridor, from what you describe. Is this the case?

> For me satellite radio is an absolute necessity that
> I welcome and gladly pay for so I can hear the news.

It's certainly your right to pay for satellite radio,
in order to fix a problem which should not exist in
the first place. But I'm fairly certain that you
wouldn't starve, or freeze to death, or otherwise have
your existence endangered, or lose your job, if you
had to forgo listening to NPR for perhaps half an hour
during a road trip that lasts maybe 2 or 2 1/2 hours.

Which means that someone complaining about the monthly
bill tally for all these luxuries they claim to be
"necessities" doesn't get a lot of sympathy from this
neck of the woods. It just makes me wonder how we have
come to this point, as a culture, where people whine
about their addictions, and others take them
seriously.