[opendtv] Re: Mobile TV: $2 Billion in Ad Buys

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2008 11:58:26 -0400

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> Speak for yourself. The vast majority of these receivers
> are NOOT being used.

Give it a rest, Craig. Mandatory integrated receivers are going to exist
also in DVB-T countries, for sure Italy and France, and integrated
receivers have been selling very well even before the mandate cuts in.
So this supposed burden of an integrated receiver is a universal issue.
And yes, it will likely delay adoption of DVB-T2.

http://www.dgtvi.it/stat/Allegati/Rapporto_GFK_febbraio_2008.pdf

Slide 13, shows that more than 50 percent of DTV receivers sold in Italy
now are integrated.

> On multiple occasions at NAB I heard that it is now easy to
> propagate new technologies/enhancements, because the telcos and
> handset makers have created the consumer expectation that they
> need a new phone every year or two. If broadcasters buy into
> this business model for the MPH service, why would they NOT want
> the same flexibility for the service targeted to fixed
> receivers?

Are you just complaining, or do you know of some new features the NAB is
aching to add to DTT? If the latter, I think they should definitely move
forward. From what I can tell, all you're doing is complaining on
principle.

> Apples and oranges. Once again, FM was a NEW SERVICE. Granted it
> was easy for the CE guys to ADD FM to the menu, but the consumer
> was not told, nor did they consider FM to be an upgrade to an
> existing service.

You're simply mistaken. FM and AM were very much the same radio service,
offering very much the same type of programming. In the US, FM tended to
have more high-brow music, like classical and jazz, at the start. But by
the late 1960s, everything you could find on AM started appearing also
on FM. In Europe, there wasn't this differentiation.

To the average Joe, FM was simply additional radio.

> And the government NEVER mandated that you must buy an FM radio
> if there is an AM receiver in the product.

Even if you're right, and I don't think you are anymore, that's
irrelevant to the point I was making. Which is, if the NAB wants to
introduce new features into ATSC, and people want to buy into the new
features, they will do so. JUST AS THEY DID with FM radio.

> It took a government mandate to force it into the hands of
> consumers.

You mean, just like it's taking a govt mandate in France and Italy? You
mean, just like UHF took a govt mandate? Or catalytic converters, air
bags, lead-free gasoline? Yeah, Craig, I'm up in arms about all these
too.

> By the way Bert. I asked a representative of the BBC whether
> they were planning on using MIMO in the enhanced Freeview
> service. The answer was not, as they plan on using their
> EXISTING transmission infrastructure while operating both
> DVB-T and DVB-T2 services.

So, what is DVB-T2? Since you claim to know, please explain.