[opendtv] Re: Mobile TV: $2 Billion in Ad Buys

  • From: "John Shutt" <shuttj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 12:30:28 -0400

----- Original Message ----- From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>

So what you are saying is that when the broadcaster decides to go to HM,
if the wide stream is kept up at 13.5 Mb/s, it's okay to drop a healthy
fraction of the viewers, either letting their screens go dark or
assuring frequent macroblocking and freezing images and sound.

http://www.hdtvmagazine.com/archives/pbsbalit.html

The robust stream is not what the FCC planning factors represent. In any
case, I would be far more excited if the 10.47 dB of C/N theoretically
possible with the 19.39 Mb/s stream were better exploited, instead of
drastically reducing the bit rate to achieve that figure.

And what does A-VSB do to effective bitrate?

The success of radio, once TV was invented and became prevalent, is tied
to the in-car experience, IMO.

I believe this has been argued here before by others, and the conclusion was that FM took off when the FCC banned AM-FM simulcasting, and FM went to an album oriented music format.

THEREFORE, it seems obvious to me that
only after car manufactures include HD Radio will people become
interested in the multicast offerings.

Amazing how we can agree on something, and still sound like we're disagreeing. :^)

(However, I wouldn't hang my hat on multicasting as the driving force behind HD Radio. The HD reception radius of a station is very small, and the multicast channel has no analog fallback mode, so I see limited adoption of multicasting for commercial stations.)

John