[opendtv] Re: Microsoft and the broadcast flag

  • From: John Willkie <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2008 12:57:24 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

Self-important?  I can actually generate the rc_descriptor.  You cannot, and
you lack the ability to detect the rc_descriptor, or aberrations with it, as
well.  I have an application I have written that can and actually does that.
I'll even be adding CGMS analysis as well.

So, now you continue on the path of doubling down even further.

A foolish question.  How does this "broadcast protection flag" map to the
rc_descriptor?  I'd say that it does not, since the rc_descriptor signifies
ONLY that a consumer device cannot redistribute programming.  It was never
intended and it is outside of the spec to call it a broadcast progection flag.

Of course, fools still persist in their foolishness, and you search far and
wide, but can only find weak reeds for your non-existent positions.

HBC, last time I checked, didn't own, nor transmit through broadcast stations.
Yet, foolish you uses badly-written consumer level copy that ACTUALLY USES HBO
AS AN EXAMPLE!!!!!!!

'Currently, HBO sets the flag for some programming, and other broadcasters
might begin using the flag in the future'

HBO isn't a broadcaster, HBO doesn't PERMIT their content to be broadcast
(unless you consider DBS a broadcast) and no broadcaster transmits HBO.  But,
fools like you will find these little turds by doing google searches for
'broadcast' and something else.

Of course, this is your 'news peg' for you to raise that turd or an argument
that somehow -- ALL EVIDENCE TO THE CONTRARY -- assertion of the rc_descriptor
violates the Betamax decision.  Hell, I even provided the holding in a
subsequent supreme court decision that said the contrary.

I think I'd better start avoiding Boeing aircraft, since you guys almost killed
Obama the other day (rear chute deployment during flight of an MD-80) and the
engineering and moreal standards there are quite low.

CGMS does indicate copy-protection status.  The rc_descriptor does not.  CGMS
use is permitted as is assertion of the broadcast flag.  No court of compentent
jurisdiction -- the court of bert and tom and bob notwithstanding -- has ever
ruled otherwise.

Yeah, it's me that's self-important.  You have heard of transference, have you
not Bert?  Oh, you probably don't believe that psychanalysis even exists.

John Willkie, who has never IN HIS LIFE used the word 'broadcast' to apply to
cablecast content.