[opendtv] Re: Microsoft and the broadcast flag

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 09 Jul 2008 23:39:16 -0400

I built this machine because I have a need on a personal project to use the 112 simultaneous video processing threads I can get out of a 8800GT Nvidia card, using the nifty new CUDA <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CUDA> architecture. However, given also a fast Core 2 Quad processor that pretty much also means I don't need any other sort of hardware video decoding or processing and will probably also buy one of those HD Homerun Ethernet connected dual ATSC/QAM tuners, decoding MPEG-2 solely in non-M$ software.

When the flap about M$'s optional stealth copy protection came out an HD Homerun spokesman stated they do not currently involve themselves in any such silliness. So I'm willing to wager I get get things working in some way where I can time shift future episodes of Medium as needed, regardless of the various bit settings.

If it actually (unlikely) turns out I'm wrong on my above plans I'm willing to eat crow, but also to switch my development efforts to Unix if needed. This is a personal project where I have that freedom.

- Tom

PS - I haven't yet tried it but Vista-64 on my new box came with built-in CD/DVD burning software. So my old Nero stuff is not really an issue. I rarely burn DVD's these days anyway since huge USB drives are so cheap. And I can already confirm those work with no problem.

John Willkie wrote:
I believe you are about to learn a lesson about Microsoft's mandatory driver testing procedure for Vista/Server 2008.
Have you been able to get your legacy CD/DVD burning software to run under
Vista?

Have you noticed that CD/DVD burner software vendors have new versions of their
software that only run under Vista?

I have a consulting client that makes expensive devices that are only used in professional broadcast and cable plants. The CEO of the company was telling me at NAB of the 'fun' they were having because their drivers didn't run under Vista or Server 2008, and the validation process at MS.
Notice, I didn't mention tuners or recording.  I am told that DVD Shrink and
other DVD ripping software won't run under Vista.  All I can say for sure is
that when I tried Server 2008 RC1 on my machine, everything worked and was
reliable until I decided to put my legacy copy of Nero on the box.  Then, it
crashed all the time, and reported a problem with Nero.

Did you note in my (unanswered, but that's on him) questions to bert yesterday,
I mentioned that I thought PBDA-compliant tuners were mandatory in Vista?  I
might be wrong (unlike bert).

Come to think of it, if you have a 65-bit Vista build, you have much more fun
than the above ahead of you.  It will be interesting to see how long it is
until you have a tuner that works.

I'm not saying that work-arounds are impossible, but I hear they're difficult.