[opendtv] Re: Linear streams

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2015 23:13:12 +0000

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

MVPDs could that same job by creating their own OTT sites,
accessible to all Internet users within the country, say.

Sorry, but there are several major barriers to that happening.

Your "major barrier" is being disproved by Sling TV, by HBO Now, by CBS All
Access, by whatever Verizon is cooking up here, and on and on. TVE is simply
the Hail Mary I described multiple times already. Yes, the content owners need
to approve of whatever new distribution scheme. And they are, is the main
point. Bit by bit, they are.

2. They would need to create their own CDNs to distribute OTT
nationally, which would require hosting edge servers with the
local incumbent MVPDs.

Two points: (1) These services can also be contracted, and (2) what do you
think they have to do to support TVE?? It does mean a new business model, and
this new business model is where consumers are heading.

[TVE] certainly allows subscribers to access the content they are
paying for without being connected to "the cord." But this is not
extending the walled garden model to the Internet.

(Around and around we go again.) Sure it is. We've been over this. If, say,
Comcast creates a TVE package, there's no reason to think this TVE package will
be the same as Cox's. They are not the same, in fact. The deals are made
individually, by each MVPD. So in effect, TVE ties a user's online TV choices
to the choices he has on that proprietary walled garden connection at home. No
need. That's the old way. Sling TV is more the new way.

Sling TV is available to anyone, Craig, not just to Dish customers. Sling TV
does not require you to have a dish antenna, and to be subscribed to Dish as a
DBS service. Sling TV does not restrict which broadband households are allowed
to join the service, based on a nonflexible, hard-to-change, legacy MVPD
subscription. In short, TVE makes Internet access to TV content every bit as
"sticky" as it was in the old MVPD days, when it required a truck roll to hook
you up and another truck roll to disconnect you, even though there is no reason
to do things this way on the Internet.

Hey Craig. Do you require your bank to come to your house, so you can access
their web site? I don't. If you decide to change banks, do you have to wait for
them to come to your house and disconnect something? I don't. Do you have to
wait for the new bank to install something to your house, before they give you
access to their web site?

Overall TV viewing is not eroding,

Thanks for finally getting this, Craig. It took a long time. You might want to
read this recent piece, concerning what is changing:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2015/05/11/cord-cutting-accelerates-first-quarter-2015/27133979/

Sling is a Virtual MVPD service.

Not even close.

And what I see is that in the 1990s, when DTV was being designed
and implemented, DTV broadcast, over cable or OTA, was an
impressive way of getting otherwise unthinkable bit rates to
everyone.

Rubbish. There were high speed data networks back then.

Clueless as ever. Explain to us, Craig, in 1994, when ATSC standards were being
finalized, how many people had, say, 4 Gb/s Internet feeds into their homes.
Oh, and we need substantiation, of course. That goes without saying.

Correct. That sieve is now my Internet connection at home.

Oh, you mean the strictly neutral Internet feed? We all know that you oppose
net neutrality, Craig, but you have to get used to it. It's not the same
proprietary monopolistic sieve, no matter how hard you try to make it so.

Sports. And they too do not require broadcast mode.

More than just sports. News, live events,

Been over this too many times, and too recently, in plenty enough detail, to
have to repeat. In a word, no, no none of these require broadcast mode.

The reality is, "hundreds" of linear channels get replaced
by multiple thousands of shows, movies, and other on demand
content.

Same thing. These programs become available on demand rather
than finding slots in I near streaming schedules.

That's absurd, Craig. At any given time, the old way would give you maybe
150-200 channels of linear "choice" on a cable system. With the Internet, you
have access to many thousands of shows or movies, at that same given time. Yes,
you could attempt to record the linear shows for viewing later, and TiVo made
that as convenient as possible, but one TiVo box in your house is hardly going
to be credible competition against any number of web servers out there. It's
not even close. Get real.