[opendtv] Re: Linear streams

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2015 01:14:35 +0000

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

Please provide me even one link to the "TVE deals" offered by any MVPD...

First of all, you don't read, Craig. The deals are between the MVPD and the
content owner, for rights to offer something as TVE. Secondly:

http://www.cox.com/myconnection/watch/entertainment/online-apps.cox?campcode=ws_mc_tv-apps_051214

"Put the power of our mobile apps in your pocket or in your hand wherever you
go. Watch live streaming TV in home with the Contour app or take it with you
with our many network TV apps and online access. Access to specific network's
TV app is free to customers who subscribe to that channel."

Read that last sentence. The TVE package you get depends on what you subscribed
to. And the TVE package you may have also depends on what deals the MVPD made
with the content owner. On this last point, read this. Yes, it's from 2012, but
it proves that the MVPDs get different deals in place, as to what they provide
with TVE:

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/2012/05/tv-junkies-rejoice-you-can-now-watch-shows-and-movies-just-about-everywhere/index.htm

So in sum, your Cox TVE "package" is different from what other Cox subscribers
may have as their TVE package, and what other MVPD subscribers might have as
TVE options. I'm astounded that Craig didn't already know this.

As I repeated many times, this constraint is completely artificial, when
the Internet is the medium you're connected to. Dish figured it out, when
they introduced Sling TV.

Duh.

Craig pretends he knows this, and yet here's what he had to say about
artificial constraints:

The Internet delivery is slaved to the limits and constraints of some
totally unrelated medium.

No Bert

Enough said?

Yesterday we bought an Insignia 32" flat panel TV at Best Buy for $159.

That's "impossible," Craig. The ATSC receiver alone must cost at least $200. :)

The activists say this is "collusion against cord cutters," who by
definition have decided not to pay for these services.

Not at all. Cable cutters may be quite willing to "pay for" the right mix of
channels online. They simply don't want to be slavishly closed in a walled
garden. What's hard to understand? The Wikipedia article correctly points out
that TVE attempts to extend those garden walls to the Internet medium,
artificially placing constraints that don't exist on the neutral Internet. The
same constraints that did exist on legacy facilities-based broadcast
infrastrucures.