[opendtv] Linear streams

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Jul 2015 00:28:01 +0000

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

I've been trying for some time now to get you to understand that the
MVPDs are using TV Everywhere to accomplish two things:

1. Making the "live" linear streams available to mobile screens;
2. Allowing the content owners that program the linear streams to
offer access to their program libraries for VOD consumption on All
screens.

Hmmm. As you should know by now, that's not quite how I see it. That's why
you're finding it hard to "get me to understand." MVPDs could that same job by
creating their own OTT sites, accessible to all Internet users within the
country, say. The reason they built TVE is to extend their walled garden model
to Internet devices. A bit of a Hail Mary, as it were. But to me, not
convincing. It is an architecture that made sense with cabled broadcast
systems, retaining the same constraints, but now adopting a far more modern
network architecture. You're putting constraints on the IP delivery that are no
longer required.

While I understand that you are trying to make a point that linear
TV channels are no longer a necessity, they ARE a reality.

They are a dying reality. Yes. Viewership is eroding, for this type of TV
content distribution, year after year. And again:

1. Given a well-designed option, for most TV programs, on demand will be
preferred by most people, for most content consumption. I'm completely
convinced of this, and so were you.

2. Linear streams do not equate to "broadcast," using the technical term. You
can use modern, non-broadcast networks very effectively, even for linear or
live streams, if you the nostalgic type.

The broadcast networks, and their local affiliates will continue
to deliver linear channels for several reasons:

1. There is still a large audience watching these channels, and
advertisers who are willing to pay to reach them.

A large but dwindling audience, yes, and advertisers have been made aware that
their ads are measurably quite a bit more effective on VOD than they are on
broadcast streams. In large measure, I *have* to believe, because people will
put up with 120 seconds of ad break, more than those interminable ones on true
broadcast channels. Why should it be a mystery that ads are retained better,
when they are digestible? So again, the cards do not line up well for actual
broadcast mode.

Thing is, Craig, I look at this from a purely engineering perspective. And what
I see is that in the 1990s, when DTV was being designed and implemented, DTV
broadcast, over cable or OTA, was an impressive way of getting otherwise
unthinkable bit rates to everyone. In the era of dialup Internet, at best, you
could still connect each household with multiple Gb/s of content delivery (of
course, whether they wanted that particular content or not). So it made a lot
of sense. But now things have changed. Now you can get a much, much greater
choice of content, from anywhere in the world just about, without depending on
that one and only sieve connected to your house as the only content source.
It's a no brainer.

If you're nostalgic, the old way can easily be emulated. But why be so
sentimental? Makes no sense. That's why the old way is dying, Craig.

2. There is significant promotional value - the breakfast TV and
late night talk/comedy shows showcase talent and promote new
content, both movies and TV shows.

No need for "live" for this promotional value. Just make the content available
on demand as soon as possible. Hey, when I watch CBS prime time shows which I
look forward to, I never do so by appointment. I have no trouble looking
forward to a show that I know will become available on a certain day, without
constraining me to watch at an exact time, or even to set up the PVR to record
it. I don't think there's any reason to think you need linear streams for this
"promotional value," let alone a broadcast mode.

3. There are many truly live programs that attract large audiences
that are coveted by advertisers.

Sports. And they too do not require broadcast mode.

That said, I believe the hundreds of channels offered by the
MVPDs will shrink rapidly as VOD consumption accelerates.

The reality is, "hundreds" of linear channels get replaced by multiple
thousands of shows, movies, and other on demand content. The difference in
choice is gymongous, and it's not in favor of the broadcast mode. It's really
time to move on.

The one aspect of OTA broadcast that remains hard to beat is its reliability.
Nothing beats being able to get the signal out without a big infrastructure in
the middle. DBS too has that same advantage.