[opendtv] Re: Interlace Artifacts

  • From: "Stephen W. Long" <longsw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2005 22:45:11 -0500

At 09:29 PM 1/10/2005 -0500, you wrote:
>Amen, brother. I wondered a long time ago (on this list) why interlace
wasn't thrown out with the subcarrier. I know we're far from along, but I
just don't get it.

As has been quoted by people smarter than me, follow the money.  Find out
who owns the patents for interlace coding/decoding inside MPEG-2 and you
will have part of the story.  Find out who owns the patents for the
1035/1080 interlace imaging systems and you will have part of the story.
Find out who owns the patents for segmented frame and related interlace
based tape formats, and you will have part of the story.  Add up all of the
pieces, and you can learn why we still have interlace.

What is truly amazing is the linkage between interlace proponents and the
8VSB proponents.  Many of the same companies and same people involved.
See, if the answer has to be 1080i, then you have to have a coding system
that cares less about receivability and only cares about having enough
(turns out, not quite enough) bits to transmit 1080i.  The only reason 8VSB
was proposed was to protect the patent pool of one company and also provide
bits for 1080i.  Remember, much of what is in place now is leftover piece
parts from the failed analog interlace system proposed before a digital
system was mandated.  Thank heavens we at least have a digital system (even
with all of its 8VSB flaws).

Here is the saddest part of the story.  We could have had a DTV system in
the US that is robust and allows mobile applications.  I am not talking
about COFDM - I am talking about 2VSB.  720p60 using MPEG-2 will just fit
inside the 14Mbps payload of a 2VSB transmission system (hell, we run it as
low as 8Mbps on constrained links, gets the job done).  So, 1080i supports
8VSB and vice versa.  Are they linked - you bet - follow the money, follow
the patent pools.

Almost 4 years ago several of us spoke about drafting a NEW digital
standard for the USA, taking the best of breed from systems around the
world and building a DTV system for the USA that would truly last for 50
years.  Robust digital modulation (SFN COFDM or better), H.264 video, SMPTE
KLV metadata and data essence transmission, IP data casting, and Dolby
Digital sound (but would fix the ability to carry separate language tracks
without carrying full 5.1 mixes), a PSIP that actually works, better ADA
compliance, etc.  Only problem was a war got in the way and consumed all
available bandwidth for my team, so we did not get around to it.

Someone else will do what I just outlined, building a commercial system
that delivers high value to customers.  Maybe in the bands reserved for
selling at auction.  It is so interesting to watch VOOM.  They almost got
the idea - using improved coding to get more channels on a satellite.  They
just backed the wrong horse (MPEG-4 Part 2).  Had they waited for Part 10,
they could have been somebody.  But that's another story.